Embroidery Heaven

See this beautiful thing?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Maggie’s eyes say it all…

This is Gina’s embroidery…that I did…on a friend’s commercial machine.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am in heaven…the clarity of the stitches… the speed, the ginormous hoop…the amount of work I got done in one day…the speed….the speed…oohhhh, I am in heaven!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I am in love with that machine.  We have done a couple of school dresses, and our new school account is designed with this machine in mind.  And while I do have to interrupt my hermithood to go use this machine, it is SO worth it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The bodice embroidery is on this incredible, plush purple velvet (I have not run the lint roller over it in the pic so it looks…well…linty). Interesting stitching issue to solve…I knew that the stitches were going to sink into the velvet so I tried a couple of things. First, I knew that I would have to use a topper to help keep the stitches up. Gina sent along a relatively thick plastic topper (what brand is it, Gina?)…not a solvy, but it ripped fairly easily. I had also digitized in a pretty dense underlay thinking that it would help the top stitches stand up and out, but the test stitch-out ended up dipping, diving, and waving like a bad trip!!! So, I made the underlay very sparse, stabilized the back of the velvet with 2 layers of decorbond, and used 2 layers of the topper. Mission accomplished…clean-up still in progress.

The embroidery on the lavender fabric is for the sleeves. No topper needed. What you see has not been ironed yet…and there is no puckering! Another reason to love this machine!!!!

So, I will finish the front panels, back skirt, and crowns and ship it all back to Gina for assembly for her daughter.  I am liking being the embroidery lady…have 2 more to stitch-out for my 2 in current production…

This was all digitized using my Bernina Designer Plus V5 software. Converts easily into the format needed for the commercial machine.

1. Christina
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 10:08:08

Gorgeous! I love the design! The embroidery is so clean. How many hours on the machine to get that done?
    I working on some American girl doll dresses to match my schools embroidered A-line costumes. I’ve simplified the design, but Let me tell you, hand guiding the embroidery is such a pain!! With a machine like this those dresses I’m doing would be whipped out in no time…

Nov 03, 2007 @ 10:13:25

Hi Christina, it took about 7 hours for these 3 pieces…huge stitch count. Something like your American doll dress would probably be completely done in about 1 hour or so.

3. Shaylah Sheridan
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 10:17:43

this is shaylah gina’s daughter

it is sooo pretty

i cannot wait till its gets done!!

thank you soo much for doing this for us

and thank the man who owns the machine for me

Nov 03, 2007 @ 10:22:43

You are SOOO welcome, Shaylah!

5. Gina
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 14:31:20

whooooohoooo it looks awesome …. I think you actually managed to stun the runt .. hehehehheh

6. Ina Ogilvie
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 19:58:58

That looks Great! I am about to purchase a husqvarna DS1 usb and the 4d professional software, even though it looks exciting it is also a little daunting a lot to learn, I am hopeing to expand my creativity with these dresses done applique to death and have run out of new designs/shapes etc, What is topper that you used for the velvet and will this be explained to me when I purchase my new machine? thanks keep this blog going its great! Ina Ogilvie

7. Meg
    Nov 03, 2007 @ 20:43:22

BEAUTIFUL!!! Getting excited for your “new account”… 🙂

8. Peggy
    Nov 04, 2007 @ 00:17:41

Wow, it’s beautiful!

9. Karen
    Nov 04, 2007 @ 03:54:19

Wow . That looks great. What sort of machine was it? I also use a Bernina but am looking at getting a commercial machine just to get a huge hoop.

10. Sara
    Nov 04, 2007 @ 08:29:21

and to think I make my kid’s dresses on the Riccar I got for high school graduation in 1979. I am so jealous! the bodice is gorgeous.

11. Jenny P
    Nov 04, 2007 @ 10:03:58

Beauuuuuutiful! Can I ask if that lavender is a stretch fabric? I am just about to test out some of mine on some metallic lycra, and have found some iron-on then tear-away stabiliser which will hopefully do the trick. They are nowhere near as detailed as these masterpieces though. Fabulous!

Nov 04, 2007 @ 10:10:08

Karen, it is a Toyota…megabucks. You can do it all with the Bernina mega-hoop…you just have to re-hoop a lot.

Sara, I am impressed a machine you got in ’79 is still working! I broke the one Grandma gave me in ’80, and since then these ID dresses have put 2 more in the graveyard. But then again, my workhorse now is a Riccar!

Jenny, no the lavender is not stretch. And maybe do a test on your lycra…I am thinking that if you remove the stabilizer that the embroidery will eventually tear the fabric if there is a lot of movement with the stretch…??? I would be really interested to know how it holds up.

Ann

13. Mary
    Nov 04, 2007 @ 17:34:21

What size hoop did you use? Have you seen the Toyota machine with the 1.2m x 0.45m hoop? I’m fascinated by that possibility (just not by the pricetag….), after sitting for many hours over the Bernina megahoop shifting it up and down the notches, not to mention rehooping! I’ve heard the Toyota actually stitches slower than the Bernina, just doen’t need all the thread changes, rehooping etc. How did you think they compared? Though it sounds like you need the Toyota like me!!!

All the best