Katelyn’s Tunic Dress

Sarah found a picture for me…THANK YOU, SARAH!!!!

Photobucket

Now, I am thinking that she put this dress on very fast for the awards because the panels are not this short…the back of the skirt seems to be bunching…but here is the beautiful girl! Cannot wait to get more pics…my brain and artist ego/psyche are having a really hard time with the fact that I did not get pics myself.

Here are the fabrics we used.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

I just love these colors.

1. colmurph
    Jan 27, 2008 @ 14:21:17

Oh my gosh!!! How beautiful! The girl and the dress of course. It is outstanding, what a great combination of fabric and color. I like how you’ve given us some pics of the fabrics because then when we get some further pictures of the completed dress we will really be able to appreciate how they have been utilized. This could be a nice format. Good Job….nice note to take a break from the solo’s on. Colleen

Jan 27, 2008 @ 14:25:47

Good point about the fabrics, Colleen. I will remember that from now on.

3. irishdancingrosie
    Jan 27, 2008 @ 14:36:57

mwahahah what would you do without me?

The skirt is GORGEOUS IN MOTION!!! The skirt is so flowy and movey, and my eyes were drawn right to the girl who was wearing it, because it made her look so graceful. The colors are so unique and such a great combination! I can’t say enough how cool it looked in motion, enough. Gah the fullness, everything was perfect.

Jan 27, 2008 @ 14:37:57

That is so cool to hear, Sarah. You are my hero today!!!

5. cincysewer
    Jan 27, 2008 @ 19:41:27

Ann-what has been the response from those who are seeing these dresses for the first time(in action)? Hoping it’s favorable and inspires others to break the mold. Love the colors-so “jewel tonish”-just like the red tunic dress-they have an elegant, rich look to them.

6. dianecohoon
    Jan 27, 2008 @ 20:02:17

So, was that 1st place in prelims? Or was this the top of the podium for a special – treble reel, sets? It’s great coming off suspension with a bang! Beautiful colors on her!!!

7. mendylady
    Jan 28, 2008 @ 01:00:22

Scrumptious!

8. cfvermeulen
    Jan 28, 2008 @ 03:00:23

I absolutely love it! She really does look stunning in those colors and the whole design is just perfect for her. Very nice! Can’t wait to see more pics!!!

9. paulars
    Jan 28, 2008 @ 09:43:14

Just lovely! You used that great purple “tulip” fabric. And it looks like Susan drew from the fabric pattern for the applique design? I love it when the knotwork or applique design makes sense on the dress – not just some random shape that does not echo some other element of the dress. This is a very integrated design. You guys are awesome! Tell us more – is the whole skirt 3 layers? Did you do anything differently with the panels on this one? I’m still working on that video of Liz – was supposed to do it this past weekend but she didn’t wear the dress for the performance on Sunday. I really want some opinions on how it looks in motion before she starts feisin’ this year.

10. mnwalshes
    Jan 28, 2008 @ 10:16:30

OMG!!! It’s amazing!! I want one. 🙂

11. leamanach
    Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:42:54

This is a beautiful dress, though I am partial to purple and green! The skirt has great body and with so much sparkle on top, you would not know at first glance that it wasn’t a traditional stiff solo. Can’t wait to see more pictures.

12. sewcrazy4fashion
    Jan 29, 2008 @ 13:17:56

Very pretty! I love the fabrics and the colors. I also like the layers in the hem. Because of it, even though the panels are short, it doesn’t look empty or like there is too much skirt; it creates a better balance.

13. kktsews
    Jan 29, 2008 @ 20:53:49

FABULOUS! I agree the relationship between the embroidery and the fabric makes it look like such a “together” dress, not just one that was elements sewn together, you know? I am partial to jewel tones and love this combination. I like the silloette of this one as much as the red tunic.

14. gracejones
    Jan 29, 2008 @ 22:18:43

Well, I’m back…after 2 trips to Manassas and one to Raleigh fighting bronchitis (all in the same week)…I went to the Doc in the Box and actually got a z pak and am finally on the mend! What a crazy time!

The dress couldn’t have been made any better. Very light to dance in and the flow of the skirt was incredible! She danced like never before and after a six month suspension, she came in 8th out of 24! The picture on the blog is Katelyn with her crystal for 2nd in the treble reel! (The ladybugs helped in everyway!)

We LOVE the dress, but as it turns out we have absolutely no pics! We forgot our fully charged ready to go camera and our friends that we rode with didn’t have room on their card…we asked several people to get some pics of her, but I have yet to see any of them…so glad there’s the one on the blog!

We are working on some pics this weekend! Thanks for all the compliments on the dress, so very many people at the feis approached us and told us how beautiful it looked! Ann, Susan, you are the best!

Grace

15. costumemom24
    Feb 20, 2008 @ 14:24:25

Ann,
    Did you make individual appliques and sew them onto the petals? If so, would love to see a tutorial on applique making. Is that what you normally do or do you embroider directly onto the fabric?
    This is my favorite of yours so far!
    Beautiful!