Alterations Price List

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The same message post that got me going in the post below has continued and evolved into a discussion of doing alterations on ID dresses, something many of us hate to do. Certainly is not one of my favorite things to do. I send my folks to an alteration shop near here. I sought her out, showed her how the dresses should work, and she took that over for me. The shop is very fancy and rather elegant…the woman there considers alterations to be an art. Quite frankly, she is so good at it that it IS an art. Here is her website.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So on the IDDressmaking board, Terrie posted this. Had to post it here because I thought it was hysterical…and true!

“One tailor shop that I worked in around twenty years ago had a fun sign that sometimes we all could use. I’m sure that I’m paraphrasing it, but here goes…
Thanks for the morning laugh, Terrie!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Alterations – $30 per hour

You worked on it first? – $50 per hour

You want to watch? – $60 per hour

You worked on it first AND want to watch? – $100 per hour

You want to “explain” to me how I should do it? – You can’t afford me.”

More pictures

Finally I have a couple of pics of the two school dresses I am making now.

This is the new Dudney School of Irish Dance school dress. The design and dress pattern were developed by Susan Gowin of FeisDress. Susan does the embroidery and I do the rest. We finished the first batch for the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Alexandria, VA. Now, on with the rest! (I need to get a picture of the shawl.)

Finally got a picture of the vest I made for my mother a couple of years ago. I used a pattern from Cheryl Oberle’s Folk Vests. Mom picked out the yarn…I really do not remember what we used except that it was angora, silk, rayon and metallic, and it felt wonderful. The weight of it makes it drape beautifully. I love the colors.

And here is a pic of my youngest in her pretty poncho. She picked out the yarn…Patons, I think? It has been in the washer several times…gotta love acrylic sometimes! No pattern, just started on my circulars and kept on until it was long enough. There is a hat somewhere.

This is a jacket that I originally started for Molly. She was probably 12 then. Now that she is 14 1/2 it is no longer hip, so Grandma Dolores has claimed it. Almost done…just need to finish the collar border and weave in the wavers.
So for Molly I have started the Rockstar Cardigan from Alchemy. I will post a pic soon.


This is a duster I made for myself (surprised to find this is one of the few things I have ever done for myself) on the knitting machine. Emerald green wool/rayon finished with a black wool crocheted edge. It hangs so nicely. I really like the collar.